Did you know?
- The new PATH along Woodward Way and around the Bobby Jones Golf Course is 30-45 days away from completion. Thanks to the PATH Foundation, City of Atlanta, and Astra for their hard work on this project!
- The pedestrian bridge over Peachtree Creek at Northside Drive (that will be part of the new Northside Drive bridge project and will complete the loop around the golf course) could be finished as early as the end of 2019. When completed, it is hoped the pedestrian bridge will be open for use at times deemed safe by GDOT until the entire bridge project is completed. AMPC will advocate for this accommodation.
- The PATH Foundation, GDOT, City of Atlanta, AMPC and the Bobby Jones Golf Course Foundation have been working together on the installation of a multi-use path under the new Northside Drive bridge, connecting the path around the golf course with the 5’ sidewalks around Memorial Park. Earlier this summer at an AMPC/Peachtree Battle Alliance community meeting, the PATH Foundation shared that funding has been secured for this project. At the same meeting, GDOT confirmed that they will accommodate the building of this path to be built by the PATH Foundation.
- The Chattahoochee Riverkeeper's Peachtree Creek paddle clean-up with the Atlanta Memorial Park Conservancy on September 8 is sold out! To be added to the waitlist, please email email@example.com.
- Trees Atlanta, AMPC, Deloitte and volunteers removed kudzu and other invasive plants from Atlanta Memorial Park in early August, making way for native tree plantings with Trees Atlanta in December.
- The new fountain at Atlanta Memorial Park will be coming back. Thanks to the City of Atlanta's Department of Parks and Recreation and Murdock Manufacturing for repairing the fountain.
- Ruby-Collins, the contractor for the Department of Watershed Management (DWM), installed orange fencing, mulch and platforms in the park to protect the root system of the trees as they bring in the necessary trucks to clean and reline the Peachtree Creek trunk line. Word on the street is they also can be found handing out dog treats to our four-legged friends who pass by!
- AMPC has submitted and received feedback from the Environmental Protection Division and the City of Atlanta on the Memorial Park sidewalk project. The next step is the 30 day public posting in the park - coming soon. Thanks to HGOR, Long Engineering, Astra, and Renew Atlanta for their efforts to bring 5-foot sidewalks to Wesley Drive and Woodward Way in the coming months. Thanks also to Trees Atlanta for their partnership with the invasive plant removal, native planting and streambank remediation that will be a part of this project.
- The aerial sewer crossing removal project near the Howell Mill bridge and Oldfield will begin 3rd quarter of this year and is estimated to be completed by 2nd quarter of 2019. To read more on these projects and others along the Peachtree Creek basin, click here. To view WSB reporter Katie Walls' interview with DWM, click here.
How can you help?
Join AMPC and Trees Atlanta
for our next monthly
Forest Restoration Project!
Atlanta Memorial Park
Saturday, September 8, 2018
650 Wesley Drive
9 am - noon
Join us near the old playground location at Atlanta Memorial Park where we will continue removing invasive plants such as privet and kudzu in advance of our native planting in December. Please wear long-sleeve shirts, long pants, and closed-toe shoes for the work day. Trees Atlanta will provide tools and gloves. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you can join us!